Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bargain Hunter, Part II

Correction to yesterday's post: I decided to spend 20 pounds ($32) instead of 10. Here are my treasures:

The Royal Birthday Book: This is published by "Alexander Gardner, publisher to the late Queen Victoria"; I think it dates from the 1930's. The second picture shows that every day of the year has a quotation from a famous poet; you are meant to write the name of the person whose birthday occurs on that date on the page beside. I bought it (for $6) so that I could add the quotation to the end of my blog on that particular day! It measures about 4 inches square.


Cake server: This is made in England and silver-plated. I loved the intricate design and serrated edges for cutting. I paid $13


Hummingbird pin: This is my favorite. I checked on the internet, and I think it's a knock-off of the Boucher hummingbird pin that sells for $200. I paid $13.


That was great fun! I found a mandolin I wanted, but it was about $120 and in need of repair; besides, I can only buy things I can fit in either a) my suitcase, or b) the golf bag. That means either small or long and thin. Maybe I'll find a cool umbrella or walking stick!

Today we're off for a drive through Exmoor National Park (with a stop at a pub somewhere along the way!). It's not Mother's Day in England, but I'm going to treat myself to a FANTASTIC meal and dessert anyway! Happy Mother's Day to my mom and Don's mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment