Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ilfracombe

In preparation for the golf marathon tomorrow (2 rounds of golf in one day), we drove to Saunton Golf Course, a club with, count 'em, two championship golf courses. It costs 40 pounds to golf one, but only 50 pounds to golf both. We like a good deal! I was going to send Don off to golf alone, but when I got out of the car and had a look at the course, I knew it was too good an opportunity to miss. I may not be able to do all 36 holes, so I'm taking my IPad with me. I've just started reading Game of Thrones, and I have all four books, so I won't be bored. If my bones aren't too weary after the first 18 holes, I'll try to muster up the energy to play the second course.

After scouting out the golf course, we hopped back in the car and headed for Ilfracombe, a seaside village. We parked near the top of the village, and spotted some tunnels that led down to the seaside. Apparently miners in the early 1800's created several tunnels thorough the cliffs so that bathers could get down to the "pools" below. There were originally two pools--one for men, one for women. The women's pool still exists. Here's a photo. Behind me you can see the tunnel through the cliff:




Another pastime for seaside visitors is "rock-pooling." This involves seaching for interesting rocks and shells in the pools of water that form when the tide goes out:


Our time in Bideford is nearing an end. Tomorrow is marathon golf day, and Friday is "clean the cottage" day. We leave early Saturday morning for Leyland.

I'll blog later tomorrow. You'll have to wait to see if I survived two rounds of golf.

No comments:

Post a Comment