Saturday, May 19, 2012

A trip to the big city

Today we decided to check out Exeter, the biggest city in Devon. I was particularly interested in visiting Exeter Cathedral, and it didn't disappoint.

Exeter was badly bombed during the Second World War. It was a miracle that the cathedral remained unscathed while the area around it was flattened. Today the rebuilt area is full of shops and pubs, but the city planners maintained the narrow cobblestone streets and medieval feel. Here are some shots. The second and third pictures show the memorial to John Graves Simcoe, a name familiar to Ontarians:






Tomorrow is Sunday, so that's "Sunday Roast" day at all the pubs in England. We've missed out so far, but tomorrow we intend to find a Sunday Roast and gorge ourselves. I guess I'll have to golf first to work up an appetite!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Exeter

2 comments:

  1. I loved Exeter Cathedral. Beautiful stone work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was wonderful. I'm a sucker for a cathedral. My favorite is York followed closely by Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete